Va. university puts emergency responders to the test
By Anna L. Mallory
The Roanoke Times
Copyright 2007 The Roanoke Times
RADFORD, Va. — A small plume of smoke billowed just west of Radford University's McConnell Library on Monday, causing at least five people to become contaminated with an unknown hazardous material.
The smoke and its consequences were all part of a drill to test the school's response in the event of a real emergency, said Ann Hillenbrand, a school spokeswoman. The scenario was the first of several new emergency drills planned at the school this year and the first in more than a year, said Roy Saville, the director of facilities.